Monday 24 September 2012

OA STILL EXIST AFTER TKR?


This question has been on my mind for some time now and I have been searching for an answer.  Some medical sources says that OA is no longer present after TKR based on the common understanding that it is not an actual disease but a wear and tear condition.  However, there has been a recent study by Stanford suggesting that OA is a degenerative disease resulting from inflammatory process, not just  wear and tear (see link below).  Perhaps this explains why more and more younger people are diagnosed with OA. This development offers hope that someday this condition may be preventable. Therefore, I remain puzzled whether OA still exist after TKR but I do hope to find a definite answer someday. Whatever it is, the end result is still joint damage.

http://www.med.stanford.edu/ism/2011/november/osteoarthritis.html


Meanwhile, assuming that OA is no longer present, why do I still have the stiffness after prolonged sitting, standing and walking which feels the same as before TKR?  Apparently, this is due to the damage caused by OA.  Frankly, I have been quite ignorant of the damages that can be caused by OA in the long run.  I thought that after TKR, apart from the pain, all the stiffness, aches and tenderness would be gone and range of motion would be restored.  However, after 18 months now, I still have the same range of motion and stiffness. And some areas around the knees and legs still have the same tenderness.  The most logical explanation that I can think of is that OA has caused some permanent damage to my body.  Only recently I found out from some joint replacement medical professionals that the stiffness we still experience after recovery from TKR is due to the damage from OA.  

When our cartilage deteriorates, the bones rub together when we walk thereby causing a lot of pain and damage on the joint surface.  Eventually, spurs will be formed due to the damage of the joints.  These bony spurs might look tiny but they can cause a lot of pain.  It can also get dislodged somewhere in the body.  I know of someone whose spur from the knee joint surface got dislodged in her thigh muscle.  She suffered a lot of pain and eventually, got it removed through surgery. The spur actually caused some torn muscles.

When the surface of our joints are damaged, there is imbalance in the joint.  To describe it in another way (a very good analogy given by a medical professional), just imagine a camping tent. A tent is held by poles (bones) and guy ropes (muscles and ligaments) and pegs in the ground (their attachment on the bones).  If the surface upon which they depend on stability becomes out of balance, then the whole structure will lean over.  When this happens in our knee joints, the imbalance will cause deformities such as bow legs (lateral side) or knock knees (medial side).  And this state of collapse causes the muscles and ligaments to become slack and tight.  Eventually, the muscles and ligaments become inflamed, sore, tight and painful.  The function of ligaments is to attach bones to bones and give strength and stability to the knee as the knee has very little stability.  Ligaments are strong tough bands that are not particularly flexible (see picture below obtained from internet).  Once stretched, they tend to stay stretched and if stretched too far, they snap.  Therefore, the damage done to muscles and ligaments as the arthritic process develops carries over post TKR.  So this explains why we still have stiffness after TKR. 





Normal knee anatomy


Now what about all the limping and bad posture when we walk due to our arthritic knees?  This can cause problems to our body in the long run particularly back and hip problems.  OA can also cause Baker Cyst and Posterior Tibial Tendon Dysfunction which affects the ankles and feet.

During TKR surgery, we have trauma caused to soft tissues and major muscles. This will cause severe inflammation on the entire area of the knee joint.  The muscles and ligaments will be sore, tight and inflamed and we will have rubber band sensations, aches and pains, tense and tight episodes, reaction to weather change etc. So all these sensations are caused by the trauma to the soft tissues, muscles and ligaments which should settle down or reduce after a period of time.

While TKR gives us a new functioning knee and pain relief but it does not remove the damage caused by OA.  This is something that we really need to consider if we decide to delay surgery.  I think the point now is not how long we can tolerate the pain but rather how much damage we will cause to our body if we choose to delay the surgery. 

Despite all these information, I don't think people are going to run to do TKR.  TKR is a major challenge for most people.  There are many people who would rather suffer or be wheelchair bound than do TKR.  The fear is too great and I think it is largely due to a lack of courage and understanding about OA and TKR.  Of course, there is also the concern of doctors tyring to delay TKR as long as possible due to age factor and revisions required.  I thought that when I did my bilateral TKR at age 50, I was rather young.  But I am finding that more and more younger people who suffer from severe arthritis are willing to do TKR in order to gain a better quality of life. 

So even though I still have the stiffness, it is something that I can live with and it does help if I do a lot of stretching. I am grateful that I still have a reasonable range of motion that does not impair my overall function.  And I am most grateful that I did my bilateral TKR as it has enabled me to lead an active life with pain free knees. 

27 comments:

  1. This post gives the good information about the OA and Knee Treatments.

    arthritic knee carlsbad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am new to your blog and had both knees replaced about a year apart. TKRs are a great improvement over my old, worn knees. I want to offer hope to you and others that the knee stiffness, at least in my case, does go away. I'm not sure when I noticed that I no longer had stiffness but it does take a good year for the knee to heal. Just know that will time the nerve damage and knee stiffness will abate. Best wishes on your recovery journey!

    ~ Moni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that you are right as I had a right TKR on 1/04/13 and after my manual manipulation still have the "tight band" and knee stiffness. I assume that I have not given it enough time yet, but this is so frustrating. Do you have any suggestions on any exercises or things that you did to help you get through this ?

      Delete
  3. Should have proofread next to last sentence..."Just know that Over time the nerve damage and knee stiffness will abate."
    ~ Moni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Moni,

      Thanks for your feedback. Its comforting to hear that your stiffness did heal after about a year. This certainly gives hope to other TKRers. Just curious, did you have stiffness before TKR? If you did, was it mild or severe?

      Elsie

      Delete
  4. Thank you sharing this post, good job. I would also like to share about knee replacement alternatives, which are less painful and more effective than the regular surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the important tips, I really appreciate your blog. Great!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate your comments. Glad you found the info useful.

      Delete
    2. I am 8 & 11 months post op I do have stiffness & pain Would physio help at this stage?
      What can I do at ome to help this condition?

      Delete
  6. hi there.i was looking around for information on TKR because my mom has a really severe OA.She has exhaust all other options i.e painkiller,injections,physiotheraphy. I was just wondering where did you do your surgery?Which doctor did you consult?and approximately how much is the cost? Appreciate if you could advise me on this.I feel sorry for my mom, she's walking with a cane now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nur, as you have sent me an email I have replied to your email. Hope it helps.

      Delete
  7. I had a right TKR on 1/4/2013. I achieved a ROM of 95% before I reached a point where my physical therapist contacted my OS. I had to have a manual manipulation on 4/10/13 and than intense physical therapy and that did gain the acquired ROM to allow me to finally do a complete rotation on a bicycle and I can walk down stairs. However, I am still experiencing that terrible "tight band" feeling in my knee along with stiffness. I try to walk as much as I can and ride my mini cycle and still ice daily. I get very frustrated as my doctors office keeps telling me that it will eventually get better, but am I not giving it enough time. Does anyone have any suggestions of what else I can do ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also had a TKR 1/9/13. Just saw this for the first time and your story sounds alot like mine. Just curious how you are doing now? I am very very frustrated with my progress. I also try to exercise as much as possible and ride a stationary bike as often as I can. Still can not ride a regular bike wich is very frustrating. I am still in pain daily and waiting for that day that people tell you "you will just wake up one morning and feel great". Was wondering if you are still doing phisical therapy? I have a doctors appointment next weeek to see how I am doing. Hope you are doing better.

      Delete
  8. Hi Anonymous,

    Thanks for your comment. If you have read my post on Swelling and Stiffness, you would have understood what causes stiffness and the tightband. Some of the methods of massaging mentioned in my post on massage for stiffness and tightness may help you. Also, doing knee bends may help to improve range of motion, stiffness and tightness. Keeping physically active is also important. You can email to me at elsieyan123@gmail.com for easier communication.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Keep sharing. Worth reading information being shared clearing out many doubts. TKR with robonavigation in Navi Mumbai.

    ReplyDelete
  10. orthopedic prostheses LOW
    https://www.astromedicare.org/

    ReplyDelete