Monday 30 July 2012

RANGE OF MOTION


Range of Motion (ROM) is the measurement of the amount of movement of a joint.  I am referring specifically to ROM for knee joints here.  A goniometer (see picture below) is used to measure ROM.  It is a metal or plastic handheld device with two arms which works like a protractor.  So we can easily use a protractor which can be found in most homes to measure ROM.

Pain, swelling and stiffness are common symptoms of arthritis.  If we suffer from these symptoms for many years, our ROM would be greatly affected.  In serious cases, the limitation of the ROM may impair our functions and our ability to perform normal daily activities.

My ROM before TKR had already been affected.  I was only able to squat maybe halfway down.  Today, after almost 16 months post my bilateral TKR, I finally measured my ROM with a protractor and it's around 120 degrees.  If my knees weren't so fat, maybe I could bend a little more.  I know that my ROM now is the same as before TKR because the degree that I could bend and cross my legs while sitted is the same as before.  When I saw my OS for a follow-up check at two weeks after TKR, he examined my knees and said that my ROM was 90 degrees.  At three months, he said my ROM was 110 degrees.  Then he told me that I had to achieve maximum ROM within six months after TKR otherwise, it would be difficult to improve further.   When I complained to him about the stiffness and tightness, he told me that its due to muscle scarring.  He said that when muscles are scarred, they will always contract.  And he also told me that the more ROM I achieve, the better the stiffness would be.  Well, after months of trying at my own pace, I found that my ROM could not improve any further.  And my stiffness is still there (see post on swelling and stiffness).

I raised a question to my TKR forum members whether ROM can still improve in advanced recovery.  And to my surprise, they said Yes!  Some of them discovered that they still see improvements even after more than a year of recovery without doing anything much.  So that was a relief to me  and I stopped worrying about trying to increase ROM.  One day recently, while I was doing something, I suddenly noticed that my knees could bend a little more than before.  I thought that was a pleasant surprise.  It's strange that sometimes when we stopped trying and worrying, then something unexpected but positive happens.

From my TKR forums, I noticed that a lot of members are very concerned about their ROM in early recovery.  In fact, some are so impatient about it and would work their butts out. Then they will complain why their knees are so painful, swollen and stiff.   Yes, it can be very painful and the PT's mantra is "No pain, No gain".  But this concept is causing a lot of pain, swelling and stiffness which will eventually lead to a delay in recovery.  It can be an emotional trauma too for most people and that's why PTs have earned the name "Physical Terrorists". 

It's also quite typical that most people can achieve more ROM when they work very hard with a PT.  But the minute they go home, they find that their ROM has reduced and so, they feel disappointed.  This is because their knees have become swollen and stiff as a result of working too hard. So if you have a chance to choose your own PT, I would suggest that you choose one that is more caring and compassionate.  After all, we are not training for the Olympics.  Recently, I learnt that some people hardly do any PT and they ended up fine with reasonably good ROM.  So that's another interesting discovery. Well, I am glad that I did not have to go through this because I only had the PT at the hospital for a few days.  After that, I just did it on my own at home.  I did not pushed myself too hard.  I just did the exercises up to the point of discomfort.  So I did not suffer from prolonged pain and swelling and as a result, I had a reasonably fast recovery.

Contrary to the usual "No pain, No gain" mantra, our Bone Smart Forum's mantra is "No pain, More gain". The rationale is that this will lead to faster recovery.  All we need to do is rest, ice, elevate and take pain meds accordingly.  One important thing I learnt from this forum is that our knees are in charge in terms of the healing process, not us.  So if we become impatient and overwork them, they will be very angry and we will face a set back in recovery.  But if we do our physical therapy exercises gently at a slower pace and give our knees a lot of TLC, naturally they will heal faster.  I believe that once our knees are stronger and the wounds have healed quite a bit, then we can start to do more intensive exercises to gain more ROM.  It will not be too late as a lot of us are living proof of that.



WILL ROM IMPROVE AFTER TKR?

A lot of studies have been done on factors affecting ROM after TKR.  And these studies suggests that among the variables evaluated, the pre-operative ROM was the only significant predictor of post-operative ROM.  This does not mean that a patient with poor ROM before surgery will not achieve good ROM.  ROM is multi factorial and is very patient dependent.  The studies means that other observed factors such as diabetes, types of implant etc. do not have as much of a predictive value for post-operative ROM.  It seems that BMI is another factor that correlates with ROM as well.  This is certainly true because if I have leaner legs, I think I could bend more. 

So TKR may provide pain relief but ROM may not always be fully restored.  It's the same experience with stiffness.  Therefore, it would be a benefit if we do TKR when the knee joints are still in a better function as it will lead to better outcome.


HOW MUCH ROM DO WE REALLY NEED?

Seriously, how much ROM do you think we really need to function?  And will our limited ROM really limit our ability to carry out daily activities?  I did some research and found that normal ROM is around 130 to 140 degrees.  We need about 90 degrees of motion to climb up and down stairs, about 93 degrees to get up from a chair and 117 degrees to lift an object.  Now, if we don't live in a culture where we need to squat, kneel or sit cross-legged (which requires between 111 and 165 degrees), we would not be affected by the limited ROM.  So I feel there is really no issue with less ROM.  As you can see, normal routines like walking, sitting, climbing stairs and picking things up do not require high degrees of ROM.  Even with my 120 degrees ROM, it does not impair my overall function and I can still do high intensive exercises such as cardio, squats and lunges.  So I am at peace with my ROM and stiffness for that matter because the most important factor is that the pain from my knees had been removed and I am ever so grateful just for this alone.


HOW TO MEASURE ROM?

Here's a picture showing my ROM now below on the left.  The picture on the right uses a goniometer to measure ROM. I used the computer to draw an angular line from the hips to the knee and from the knee down to the ankle as shown.  Then I measure with a protractor.  It's as easy as that!  And to think that I had to procrastinate until now to do it.











Protractor


















EXERCISES TO IMPROVE ROM

Here are some simple exercises which I obtained from the Internet to help improve ROM.  My favourite exercise is this first one below on the left as it's more friendly for my back.


 











22 comments:

  1. I couldn’t agree more with this quote, “The key to change ..... is to let go of fear.” TKR is a major surgery, and those who are new to this procedure may experience a lot of fear. However, if you let fear sink in, you’ll end up with more suffering. You did a great job by embracing fear and taking the challenge of surgery, Elsie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sienna for your feedback. Its most encouraging.

    You are certainly right about the fear factor. This is what is preventing most people to do TKR. They would rather suffer than gather the courage to do it and make a change for themselves. Thats why I am trying to raise awareness about TKR through my blog and hopefully my experience can inspire some people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for shearing the experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most welcome Steve. I do not usually get a lot of comments but the few that I get gives me a lot of encouragement.

      Delete
  4. I had bil. TKR 11 weeks ago. I have very bad nerve pain to both medial knees. The pain seems to bounce around. ROM is poor. I have horrible insomnia and now depressed. I am only 51 and a nurse. I must return to work on Monday or lose my job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now a days every man and woman have problem about joint pain, back pain and many other diseases. We treat best and provide the best service of treatment. We serve Joint Pain Treatment, Back Pain Relief, Reduce Stress & Stiffness & Soreness, Increase Range of Motion and Alternative Treatment Physician.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting... my new knee is limited, mechanically, to 140 degrees according to my surgeon. Before surgery I could get 160 easily, but with some arthritic pain. now I fight to get past 130 and at 135 the pain is as bad as pre-op. I'm retired military and led (and still lead) an active lifestyle. I wish I'd have known more about my restricted ROM before the TKR...I might have put it off longer (I'm 64).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, it is true, "no pain, no gain" is a mandra that most of PT say all the time. The result is that each PT session is a torture more than the surgery itself, some people cannot suffer it anymore and skip it, or at least they interrupt and stop doing it. An aunt of mine told me that the pain was more than she had when she had bear her children. The explanation for the limited results is that the scare tissue flares up after a painful session and reborn, so to break it again, more pain, a real vicious cycle. Some other cause is arthrofibrosis, that body itself make scar tissue by itself. This case is a special case and the only solution I think, is a new surgery.
    The case of limited ROM after a fracture of tibial plateau, that had a result of 90-100 degrees ROM for some years, about 6 so far is my case. After this injury, a really life changing event, that made me not being able to stand up more that 5 minutes and walk like a robot, and not being able to kneel, to make deep squats and most of all not to gain strength in my quads and in the end OA make me think that this limited ROM cannot be better after a TKR. Being in PT for more than 1 year to start walking without crutches and drive a car, this surgery seems a nightmare to me. I am trying to postpone it as much I can, but it seems inevitable. What could I expect? More ROM, I don't think so. Kneeling and deep squat, giving back my lost years? I am not sure. The only I can expect from it is to have less OA pain, and maybe, good alignment of my knee. Being 62, I hope the last period of my life could have a better quality. It seems depressing all this, doesn't it? Yes, it is. I lived all this years thinking my injury, my leg and I studied so many that I know all details about knee and its anatomy. Why this? Because before having a surgery, you should have a second opinion, it is a rule of thumb. And most of all I don't want to get a surgery as the first one of my knee by a doctor I didn't even knew his name, bad, good, under an urgent condition you have many options in the case of a fracture so severe, and just obey the protocols they use.
    All these made me very suspicious about the OS and their ability to fix. There is much speculation about after all, the reason is too complicated write here.
    Thank you for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. At age 53, I had Bilateral TKR approx 2 yrs ago at Saved, Ahmedabad, India. No regrets. I am thankful to my wife & relatives for encouraging me and assisting me to do the TKR & the doctors for a great job & to God for the opportunity to regain good movements with my knees. I am walking without any limp (as it was prior to the TKR). I enjoy walking now compared to before TKR ( it was very painful walking for even 5 mins & standing for even 5 mins). I feel as though I can walk non stop. I can walk for about 3 km without any pain & can even go further. It took me 3 mths for initial recovery to walk without a stick. After 6 mths I got more flexion ad could go up steps fairly. Its 2 yrs now and I go up steps comfortably. I am still exercising my knees and still gaining more flexibility than 1 yr ago. I am about 130' with ROM & increasing gradually.thanks.

    ReplyDelete