Saturday 1 September 2012

DEPRESSION POST TKR

Depression may be described as feeling sad, blue, unhappy, miserable or down in the dumps.  Most of us may have experienced this before for short periods particularly after certain incidents or a major surgery.

It is quite common for people to have feelings of depression after TKR which is a major surgery.  This usually happens during early recovery.  Symptoms experienced includes crying, anxiety, fear etc. Some people may even feel a sense of regret of having done the surgery or they may be convinced that things are not going to get any better.  These are typical negative thoughts which actually contribute to the depression.

Some people may even have depressive feelings before surgery. This may be due to the shock of finding out that we need TKR. So we either get into a denial stage and procrastinate or we decide to do the surgery. Even if we do decide to do TKR, we may feel very anxious with the waiting period.

From my TKR forums, I have come across many people saying that they felt depressed during early recovery.  Some would just burst out crying non stop and some just felt down in the dumps.  Personally, I did experienced it for a brief period.  Mostly, I felt depressed about the negative comments from certain family members due to their lack of understanding.  I also felt lonely when my husband and children either left to work or school and all the down time made me miserable.

There are a variety of factors that contribute to such depressive feelings which includes:-

1.     Temporary loss of mobility and feeling confined to the house
2.     Discomfort from pain, swelling and stiffness
3.     Loss of privacy
4.     Loss of independence as we need to rely on others for help
5.    Side effects of medication which may cause some chemical, emotional and physiological 
       changes in the body
6.    Loss of confidence in normal daily activities
7.    Fear of falling down, fear of things not going to improve further etc.
8.    Feeling anxious about how long recovery is going to take
9.    Negative comments from family members or friends due to their lack of understanding
10.  Lack of sleep
11.  Regret doing the surgery
12   Loneliness
13.  Self pity

These feelings of depression during early recovery will usually fade out as we begin to be more active and return to regular activities.

To prevent or minimise depression during recovery, I would like to suggest the following:-

1.   Have adequate knowledge about TKR so that we can be better prepared.
2.   Learn from other people's experience by joining a TKR forum.
3.   Keep a positive mindset.
4.   Reward our self with something that we like even for a small milestone. 
5.   Try to get out of the house even for a while as soon as we are able to as this will lift our mood. 
6.   Educate family members about TKR so they can be more understanding and encouraging.
7.   Family members should provide necessary support and show more care and concern.
8.   Be aware of recovery time so that we do not have unrealistic expectations.



16 comments:

  1. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along.I'm impressed. You're truly well informed and very intelligent. You wrote something that people could understand and made the subject intriguing for everyone. I'm saving this for future use.
    Joint Replacement India

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Dheeraj for your most encouraging comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello,
    It is an interesting blog.people could understand.people are very interested in this site.That is more knowledge for people. Thanks your more information and i like this site...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your feedback. Glad you found the information useful.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for your site. I'm 3 1/2 weeks out from the TKR and can't stop crying. It's good to know that I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am 4 weeks out and not doing well. I had a hip replacement a year to the day before this TKR. I had the TKR now because it was paid for because of insurance. After Jan.1, it would not have been paid for. So, I had no choice. It would have cost thousands for the TKR. I did much better with the THR then this TKR. I am so miserable physically and emotionally. I am not tolerating the pain meds well. I say nothing because most people feel I am complaining and that my mindset is stopping me from doing well. With both surgeries, I picked up VRE and have been on a strong antibiotic (Zyvox...$100 a pill) twice a day for 10 days. I am so miserable, really. My anxiety level is very very high. I don't sleep well and as soon as I wake up, the pain hits me. I have discussed this with my ortho who is wonderful. She keeps telling me it will get better, to hang in there. But I feel almost suicidal at times. 2 painful surgeries in a year has made me a different person. I am 65 years old and don't know how much more I can take.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had TKR on April 14,2015. About five weeks later I began to experience depression and some anxiety. My house was not the way I wanted-messy! and how was I supposed to straighten it? I had good home care an help. Then I developed gastrointestinal problems which have me feeinl even worse! I haven't been out much at all. I have two dr. appts. tis coming Monday and I hope I'll be up to going. This has beena real mess for me. I feel so negative and have lost interest in things I used to enjoy. It's good to read that others are in the same boat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice blog to read about Knee Replacement, AnnaiArul hospital is one of the best Orthopaedics Hospitals in Chennai We do 1000+ successful Knee Replacement Opening Hours : 24 x 7 Contact : Emergency: +91 8939 59 9999

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so damned depressed since this surgery. I feel, lonely, alone left behind and in the way.My husband has been keeping most tof the housework done which I truely do sppreciate. But, along with that comes how much he has to do and makes me feel like its my fault. I do what I can but I'm 4 weeks TKR and 57, my abilities are pretty limited.I am alone most everyday and for someone to sit and just be with me for even a little while would mean alot. i dont dare say much aout the contant pain, then I'm complaining. Or I get "I know we've heard it before".I feel like life just passes me by amd feel very alone with this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lesson learned - I will be much more sympathetic in the future! As a usually very optimistic person, the depression and ongoing discomfort has really thrown me for a loop. My family has stopped asking how I'm feeling - guess they're tired of my "complaining." I can only hope that this too shall pass and better times are ahead. Wish I hadn't gone into the TKR so naive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, my 80 yr old mum has been diagnosed with 4th stage knee condition (dunno what that means) and was recommended by the doctor to go for TKR. Been reading a lot of regrets by some who have had TKR done. Are there any regrets for you? Would you have done it differently, like going for alternative treatments? The nurse said she would be able to move around as early as 3 days post TKR. Is that true?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm 4 weeks out from having TKR. I have been truly blessed with having minimal pain from the beginning to now. I have no regrets for going through with the surgery. I don't have that nagging bone on bone pain in my knee anymore and I'm truly glad about that!

    Of late, I have been feeling a little depressed not able to do things for myself, as I'm a very independent person and having to wait on someone to do for me on their own time it is hard and makes me feel anxious and depressed. However, I'm so glad to find this site to learn that feeling depressed is normal and I'm not alone. I have Faith this to will pass in God's time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! Everyone, it is 2 weeks since my tkr and I feel so depressed, can't sleep, no appetite añd excruciating pain. I dread going to PT , because I end up in bed the entire next day with ice. I am 65 and I can't wait to turn 66 next January 2018, praying that this nightmare will be over with. I will not get my right knee done, as of today. So sorry for being such a bummer. I also get chest pain.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi everyone I am 4,weeks post op of my left tkr and feeling very low at the moment, unable to sleep at night because of pain so I'm on sleeping tablets,trying to remain optimistic but hard sometimes, just need to know it will all be worth it especially because my right knee will need doing in near future, anybody have some encouragingw words ?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was not to bad with a partial knee replacement until I came of the painkillers tramadol and pregabalin after 3 weeks which I was taking regularly along with paracetamol. I ended up in A&E for 2 days with opiate withdrawal and can honestly say I have never felt so ill in all my life.my knee is fine after 6 weeks but am still recovering from the pain meds. BEWARE!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am 3 weeks out of TKR. I am off the heavy duty pain meds but on tramadol when I need it and extra strength Tylenol. Pain is bearable but always there. Walking well. I cannot stop crying. It started about 3 days ago. I’m usually very upbeat but this is beyond what I have ever experienced not mention it’s the middle of winter freezing icy and our son has Tourette’s and chronic depression. I feel as if this helps me understand him more

    ReplyDelete